The star ingredient today was definitely the butternut squash!!
and the most fulfilling thing about making these babies is they are very easy!!
You need : 1 whole medium-sized squash,250ml fresh cream, 1tsp baking powder,300g all-purpose flour,cinnamon, 3 tblsp brown sugar,2 eggs, 1/2 tsp salt
To get this going , boil the butternut until soft in a medium saucepan.
Remove the water in pan when done.
Place the eggs,sugar,and milk in the pan with the butternut and use a mixer to combine everything together or you can use a processor to blend until ingredients are creamy.
On the side, combine flour and baking powder and salt, then fold the flour into the butternut mixture. Mix until its something like this…
For the Pastry DOUGH…
- Combine 1 tsp salt with 300g all-purpose flour then like any normal pastry or tart dough combine with 150 grams butter and mix until flour starts looking like crumbs.
- Normal recipes require to 3 to 4tblsps of cold water to combine the dough but for me it’s quite little most of the times so i add more anyways!
- Use your hands to fold the dough until it shapes into a ball, cling wrap the dough and place in a refrigerator for an hour.
- Then roll out the pastry,with the use of a round cutter place the small pieces of dough into a 12 cup tin.(if you dont have a cutter, a trick can be to use the face of a cup to have even layers!)
- Finally place the butternut cream mixture into the small crusts, sprinkle a little cinnamon on all and bake at 190 degrees Celsius for 20 to 25 mins.
and there you have it…
Oh!… and don’t forget to use an egg to glaze the tarts when they are out of the oven -for that shiny look and to eliminate dryness.
Thank you for reading and enjoy!
If you have any other ideas on using a butternut squash let me in on ideas.
Side Note : These small tarts are good as snacks and can be used as finger foods for parties. They are also a choice meal for vegans (though inclusive of milk).